801 Tactical Training Squadron: Airbats - The Ultimate Flying Force You've Never Heard Of!
Genre: Comedy, Romance, Military, Adventure
Number of episodes: 7
Original air dates: April 21, 1994 – November 18, 1996
801 Tactical Training Squadron: Airbats, also known as Aozora Shoujotai, is a 7-episode OVA (Original Video Animation) series that aired from 1994 to 1996. The anime is an eclectic blend of comedy, romance, military themes, and adventure that revolves around a misfit group of female pilots in the Japanese Air Self Defense Force (JASDF). The story primarily follows the daily lives, training, and missions of the 801 Tactical Training Squadron, who navigate challenges and build camaraderie despite their seemingly unorthodox approach to their duties.
The story begins with Isurugi Takuya, a young male mechanic, being transferred to the 801 Tactical Training Squadron. He initially has no idea that the unit is composed entirely of female pilots, each with their own unique personality and quirks. The squadron is known for being the dumping ground for pilots and personnel who do not fit into the conventional JASDF mold. Despite their eccentricities, the team works together to overcome their individual weaknesses, grow as pilots, and ultimately become a valuable asset to the JASDF.
Throughout the series, the Airbats face a variety of challenges, both in their personal lives and in their professional careers as pilots. Some of these challenges include dealing with the pressures of competition, overcoming their own insecurities, and dealing with the dangers of flying at high speeds and altitudes.
- Isurugi Takuya: A talented mechanic and the protagonist of the series, Takuya is assigned to the 801 T.T.S. He initially struggles with the strong personalities of the female pilots but eventually becomes an essential part of the team.
- Haneda Miyuki: The team's leader and an ace pilot, Miyuki is known for her strict and no-nonsense demeanor. She is determined to prove the worth of the 801 T.T.S. and is an excellent mentor to her teammates.
- Saginomiya Sakura: An upbeat and energetic pilot, Sakura is always eager to learn new things. She has a crush on Takuya and is known for her positive attitude and enthusiasm.
- Mitaka Arisa: A skilled pilot and weapons expert, Arisa is fiercely competitive and aims to be the best in everything she does. She often clashes with her teammates but is loyal and dedicated to the 801 T.T.S.
- Konishi Yoko: The team's navigator and communications officer, Yoko is often the voice of reason within the group. She is calm, intelligent, and always ready to help her teammates in any situation.
- Julie Makimoto: A soft-spoken pilot who is known for her gentle personality and her love of animals.
- Tamao Suzumi: A cheerful pilot who is often seen as the comic relief of the group.
- Kasumi Nakamura: A quiet pilot who is known for her stoic demeanor and her love of martial arts.
- Yoko Shimorenjaku: A quirky pilot who is known for her love of technology and her odd sense of humor.
The animation style of 801 TTS Airbats is typical of the 90s, with bright colors and detailed backgrounds. The action scenes are well-animated and exciting, and the characters are well-designed, with distinct personalities and unique abilities. The soundtrack is also well-done, with a mix of upbeat and dramatic music that fits well with the various scenes and moments in the series.
In conclusion, 801 TTS Airbats is a fun and exciting anime series that is perfect for fans of action and adventure. The strong female characters, the emphasis on teamwork and camaraderie, and the exciting action scenes make this series a must-watch for fans of the genre. The series is now over 20 years old, but it still holds up well and remains a beloved classic among fans of anime and aviation.
Intro 801 Tactical Training Squadron: Airbats
Leave a Reply